One of the most important skills when traveling with children is packing the hand luggage. Here’s how to pack your infant’s hand baggage well, and don’t worry anymore.
What do you need to be prepared for when traveling with a really small child? The answer is short and simple: for everything. Therefore, the most important thing is, before you go, imagine all the possible needs of your child, which it has every day. When you’ll think about everything, prepare yourself for these unforeseen, unusual events. Now imagine that you need to have, to solve every problem at hand. The child is hungry? Here you are. Teething? I’m ready. Do you have to change? You’re welcome. Too cold, too warm, or maybe wet? Anything can happen and you have to react quickly. And sitting in a closed space on a plane, without the possibility of popping into the shop for the next few hours. That’s why the well-packed baby hand luggage is so important.
There are pros and cons of traveling with a toddler. The plus is that you have the priority of boarding without buying priority boarding. Most airports also have special priority queues for check-in and security checks. The minus is that your child does not have its own luggage. We cope so that I dedicate my luggage entirely to our baby’s things, and the luggage of Sergiusz must serve adults.
Before you go on a trip with your child, you need to pay attention to regulations that vary from airline. As for infants, they can travel from the second week of life, of course under the care of an adult (one infant per adult). Babies do not have their own place. They fly on their parents’ lap, in a special seat belt (you’ll get it on board the plane). You can usually transport (free of charge) 2 pieces of children’s accessories per child – 1 stroller plus one of the following items: car seat, booster stand or travel cot. You can give the trolley immediately, or give it to the plane.
It is also important to choose the right things that you take on board, because you can not pack every item you need on the plane (for example, a fruit-cutting knife). Also, remember that what you pack in your luggage must take up as little space as possible, that’s why it’s good to have gadgets made of lightweight materials, preferably cleverly folded. Also try to think in a compact way. You do not need to take a blanket and curtains to the windows. The blanket can calmly fulfill the function of the cover, and when necessary, darken the window.
The most important thing is to pack a minumum of things that will fulfill the maximum function. Therefore, despite the fact that on many blogs you read that it is worth taking a thermos or folding changing table with you, I throw them out of the list. You can ask a stewardess for boiling water and spread a blanket instead of a changing table.
The critical point of the journey is the takeoff and landing of the aircraft. Children are very sensitive to pressure changes and they feel “clogging up” on the plane. Therefore, be sure to keep the handy bottle and give your baby milk or water to swallow when the pressure changes. If the child has a cold, put drops or sea salt in his nose to help him breathe.
Don’t forget about the convenient luggage to which you will pack things for your child. Ideally, it should be a lightweight bag with many zipped pockets so that the “kitchen” does not mix with the “bathroom” and “wardrobe”. Our discovery is a bag, which is not only a convenient luggage, but can also be used for … a travel cot after unfolding.
It is very important to think of the emergency situations. The plane can break or delay. Therefore, prepare yourself a supplyof extra diapers and food just in case.
You must have the largest and best prepared luggage when traveling with the smallest child. When you travel with a mine sign you should find in it:
1. Diapers – one for each hour of travel. Until the hours you spend on the plane, you must also count the time of arrival and waiting time at the airport. Pack 2-3 extra nappies, just in case
2. Blanket – it will be useful as a changing table and as a cover when it is colder
3. Wet and dry wipes – one packet. They will be useful for changing, during meals or when the child gets dirty
4. Plastic bags (can be ordinary breakfasts) – they are useful for throwing diapers or wet clothes
5. Additional change of clothes and something warm (eg. sweater) – secure dry clothes in a closed plastic bag
6. Tetra diapers – 2-3 pieces. They are thin and light, they will work as protection against wind, sun, mosquitoes, as a towel or bib
7. Favorite toy or teether. Ideally, if they are as small as possible
8. A shawl to carry a child or a baby carrier
9. 2-3 100 ml milk or drinking bottles – thanks to this volume, they will fit into the limits of liquids that can be carried in hand luggage. Remember that you can carry a liter of liquids in 100-ml containers
10. Snacks: biscuits, corn snacks or hard bagels. The latter will be useful when teething
11. Food: milk or for older children, yogurt or jars. There is no problem with heating food on board. Also pack a teaspoon, but if you forget about it, you can ask a stewardess for help
12. Child’s passport and ticket
And, above all, don’t worry. First flights with your child can be difficult and stressful, but you can do it. And I’ll tell you a secret – babies usually sleep well on the plane, so there is a good chance that your child will sleep all the time.